11+ Exam 2020

How Covid-19 Will Affect This Years 11+ Exam

With the pandemic ongoing but public services and schools slowly beginning to reopen you may be wondering what plans and changes are in place for your child’s 11+ examination. Here at Study Hat, we will be keeping you informed of any updates in your area.


Bexley – CEM


Bexley authorities are yet to release an official statement. Exams at this time are going ahead as planned.


Buckinghamshire – GL


 Buckinghamshire authorities have released the following statement.

 “At this time we are exploring a range of options with our colleagues at Buckinghamshire Council and GL Assessment. We are also supporting the Grammar School Heads Association (GSHA) in their discussions with the Department of Education about what adjustments might need to be made to the usual arrangements at local and national level to ensure the testing process is completed with due consideration for the current situation.

The discussions are wide-ranging and include the timing of testing, administration considerations, and how to keep children and staff safe. We do not yet have a date for when plans will be finalised due to the ever changing nature of the current advice.”


Kent – GL


Kent county council have proposed increasing the number of schools parents can name on their child’s secondary school application to 6 rather than the usual 4 (for 1 year only) due to their proposed plans of holding their 11+ examinations on 15th October, meaning that results will not be published until late November. This will enable parents to name 2 grammar schools without reducing the number of public school options on their application.

It is unclear as of yet how Kent will be selecting students from the ‘head teacher assessment panel’, in past years 6% of pupils attending grammar schools in Kent have been selected in this manner.


Lincolnshire – GL


The following dates have been published by Lincolnshire County Council

Friday/Saturday 18/19 September Verbal Reasoning

Friday/Saturday 25/26 September Non-Verbal Reasoning

Lincolnshire County Council have also released the following statement.

“The current situation with COVID-19 and school closures is obviously disruptive to our 11+ planning. We have been working closely with GLA, our 11+ provider, to ensure that the 11+ procedure for September 2021 entry has minimum disruption. Our decision making must be guided by current government advice and so dates may still be subject to change. Current plans for Linconshire’s practise tests state,   “If schools are back and social distancing measures are such that we can go ahead with tests we will do these as usual. However, if schools are still closed or social distancing measures means exams and tests are not possible, these will not go ahead. We are waiting to hear what the government decides regarding schools opening. In the meantime please use the free familiarisation materials available from GLA.”


Medway – GL


Medway tests have been moved by a month, the new dates are as follows.

 October 10th-18th, with Medway primary schools offering the test on October 10th

The results of your child’s examination will be posted on the 2nd November with grammar school decisions being made up to 24th November. The following information has been released.

“I am sorry that it is not possible to delay the test any further. The reason this is the case is that the Medway Test must fit in with the wider, national, secondary transfer process as set out by Department for Education guidance. If we were to delay the test any further, we would no longer be adhering to the timescales which could jeopardise the school application outcomes for our children.”


Poole – GL


No information has yet been released by authorities.


Slough – CEM


The following statement has been released by Slough County Council.

“Provisional information about testing arrangements will be emailed to registered candidates during week beginning 13 July 2020. Full details of the date, allocated testing venue and time of session will be emailed to you in early September. As arrangements are still being made, no further information can be provided at this stage

With the restrictions imposed by the Government and Public Health England it is challenging to arrange testing for large numbers of children this year. Please consider if your child will be eligible to apply for a Slough Consortium Grammar school if they achieve the eligibility mark and whether or not it is appropriate that they take the test.”


Southend-on-Sea – CEM


Southend County Council have released the following statement.

“Due to the ongoing pandemic the CSSE will be guided by ongoing government advice.”


Sutton – GL


The following statement has been released by Sutton County Council.

“The SET participating Schools’ current view is that we are still planning for the SET to go ahead as planned on 15th September 2020 but this is under constant review. Any changes to holding the Selective Eligibility Test will be published on this area of the website. So refer back to this section nearer to the date of the test.”


Torbay – CEM


No information has yet been released by authorities.


Wirral – GL


Wirral County Council have released the following statement.

“Published assessment dates are currently intended to go ahead as planned. However, changes might be needed in order to comply with Public Health England guidance, including social distancing. We are waiting for further guidance from the Department for Education. If there are any changes to the arrangements parents will be notified as soon as possible.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *